It’s that time of year again—you need to get your home and property ready to fight the dropping temperatures and harsh winter conditions! You do things like install weather stripping under your door to keep the cold air out and wrap your tree trunks with burlap to protect them from frost. But what do you do to winterize your asphalt driveway? Hopefully, the answer isn’t “nothing”! Winterizing your asphalt driveway or parking lot is crucial if you want your pavement looking its best in 2018. Keep reading the following tips from paving companies in Santa Rosa, CA for winterizing your asphalt:
- Make repairs now: Asphalt is one of the best paving materials on the market, but it does have its downsides. Over time, it develops cracks and needs to be patched up. If repairs aren’t made, those cracks will get worse and worse. Melting snow and ice seep into existing cracks. Once that water refreezes, the cracks expand. Give us a call as soon as possible to make all of the necessary repairs before winter weather hits us. We can patch up all of your cracks in no time at all.
- Sealcoat: Although cracks are inevitable, you can prevent them from forming too soon by sealcoating your driveway. A thick layer of sealcoat will protect your asphalt from winter weather and help ensure your driveway lasts for a long time before it needs to be repaved. While you can sealcoat your driveway by yourself, hiring a professional to do it for you is a much better approach. Our professionals use the best techniques for sealcoating, so you can rest assured that the job will be performed correctly. Hiring a professional also saves you a ton of time. Spend your weekend doing something fun, not sealcoating your driveway!
- Avoid salting: Putting salt down on your asphalt is a great way to melt snow and ice and prevent folks from slipping on your property. But if you want to keep your driveway or parking lot intact and looking great for years to come, you may want to avoid salt this winter! Salt slowly eats away at your asphalt, which leads to having to repave your driveway sooner rather than later. Instead of salting, just be sure to shovel or plow your driveway each time it snows.
Failing to properly winterize your asphalt driveway can lead to all kinds of complications down the road, which will be more expensive to fix and reduce the lifespan of your investment:
- Growing cracks: As mentioned above, melting snow and ice can cause the cracks in your pavement to grow wider and spread farther. If you don’t winterize, you could wake up one morning to find a driveway full of cracks. You can easily prevent that from happening by giving us a call today.
- Potholes: When those cracks get bad enough, you could end up with a full-blown pothole. Potholes don’t just look bad—they wreak havoc on tires and cars’ suspension systems. Thankfully, you can prevent potholes by taking care of your asphalt before temperatures start to drop.
Hire paving companies in Santa Rosa, CA to perform the steps above and you’re guaranteed to have a nice-looking driveway for years to come. The professionals at Sikes Asphalt Group Inc. are highly skilled and have years of experience winterizing asphalt driveways and parking lots of all shapes and sizes. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment!
Categorised in: Paving Contractor
This post was written by writer